April Poem 5

|
Yeah, I know. I'm behind a day. I'll make up for it though.

#5

i stand and rub my eyes
it's late, all lights but mine are off
it sheds a sleepy sphere of orange
before fading into murky blue

somewhere in that silent ether
are two bodies
one in my bedroom
leg twitching
chest rising
she must be dancing
in a red dress that sweeps the ground
in a field of fig trees
her body spinning
her hands trailing in a spiral
fingers drifting
in and out of shafts of light

the other one sleeps in a tiny bed
his hand in a fist
as he swings a blazing sword
and hears the snicker-snack!
as it slices spindly spider legs
to save his missing mommy

why should i crawl into bed?
what dreams that flash within my head,
could trump this quiet joy?

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

this one definitely elicited an "awwwwwww." very nice - especially the part about the spindly spider legs.

Eralda LT said...

Love love love it. Especially the part about the little person in the little bed.