Northernness

|
A friend of mine posted a link to this YouTube video, and upon watching it I had a very strong emotional response. Watch the video, and then read on...





By the end of this clip, tears were running down both of my cheeks. I felt tricked somehow; a mixture of confusion (why was I crying?), sheer joy, and anger (the world isn't really like this). Somewhat ashamed of my unmanly display (fortunately no one in the house noticed my brief meltdown), I scrolled down to view the comments people had made on YouTube, and was relieved to find other men claiming to have cried at seeing this. But why? I certainly didn't have this reaction when I saw The Sound of Music. The best summation of what I felt, I think, is C.S. Lewis' concept of Northernness. Lewis attempts to describe this feeling in his autobiography, Surprised by Joy:

I was uplifted into huge regions of northern sky. I desired with almost sickening intensity something never to be described (except that it is cold, spacious, severe, pale and remote) and then... found myself at the very same moment already falling out of that desire and wishing I were back in it.
It is a Desire rooted in both nostalgia (the innocent sound of Julie Andrews' voice) and hope (complete strangers who might not even understand the lyrics to the song or speak each other's language falling into step with each other). It's the emotive equivalent to catching a maddeningly familiar strain of music being played by far off trumpets, of lying in a hospital bed and swearing that you can smell the ocean, or feel the spray from a cresting wave.

Have you ever experienced Northernness? Did this video evoke a similar emotion? If so, what would you call it?

10 comments:

Chrissy said...

This video is awesome. I also cried while I watched it, but I didn't feel anger or that I'd been tricked. I just felt happy and giggly (and teary). I most liked when the people not in on the song and dance started dancing on the edges - beautiful! Thanks for sharing this.

Bryan Tarpley said...

Happy to share! I think my anger was that I'm not sure the world really works that way. I'm dying to know what the ration of seeded choreography to random participants was. I wanted to believe SO badly that for one moment something as silly as a song from a musical could entice people to transcend their boundaries and comfort zones. It made me sad, too, to realize just how isolated we feel. I think there was also anger because, reading through the comments, this might've all been a publicity stunt for a new television show. For those reasons I felt tricked.

Bryan Tarpley said...

*meant "ratio" instead of "ration" in the 3rd sentence...

Eralda LT said...

Love it. I didn't know what to think at first, but then, the sceptic in me, whom you know so well, realized that it was all planned, except for the people in the margins which Chrissy mentione.

It's uncanny how much this clip resembles Lewis' passage. I need to go back and read that book...it's been too long. :) Great post honey!

NickK said...

All the time. Usually due to sappy movies, recently courtesy Susan Boyle.

Bryan Tarpley said...

yeah. that susan thing went wicked viral.

Tek said...

Not as good as the T mobile version at Liverpool Street Station (and their's was better music). I wonder which plagerised which?

Seriously though can't understancd why anyone would find it anything other than an midly amusing orchistrated stunt in both cases.

Sort of a bit like Obama, you think it is the real thing but then it starts bombing and killing and you see it is all appearances.

Personally I prefer the naked bike rides, as at least they are not choreographed and you see things as they really are.

Bryan Tarpley said...

Tek,

I think what your opinion elucidates is the fact that the "trigger" of the sublime/northernness is subjective and culturally mediated, much like aesthetics in general. For instance, upon trying to watch Japanese anime, I as an American find myself struggling to relate to the characters, even though the artist has gone to great lengths to portray them as big-eyed and weeping.

Thanks for hopping in!

Gypsysmith said...

I cry every time I watch this clip. And I too felt a bit angry, but I think that for me it was in response to sadness and a sense of loss. I was also shocked by the jealousy I felt for those lucky witnesses... looks of awe and amazement on their faces. The joy and happiness far outweighed the negative emotions though. And I'm not sure that I really care "why" the routine was set up. I think the wonderment and uplifted feeling that remained is more important.

"Northernness" is the best term I've heard for the actual emotion that was evoked. I'm not sure that an actual term exists for it... just a list of emotions felt all together and trying to explain that somehow there was also a feeling of being more connected with the divine and having such surety, at least for that moment, in the existence of things like Good and the soul.

The way I usually try to explain the feeling is by calling it a Mystery, with a capital "M". Mysteries are the sorts of things that we try and try to explain, but never feel satisfied with the way the words come out. And if the person you're speaking with has never had a similar experience, the whole effort is more difficult (and they usually stare at you like you have lost your mind). A Mystery must be experienced to be understood.

So yeah. Northernness. Thanks for posting this, Bryan.

Sara said...

what Maggie said. :0)

I wish the world had more moments like this. really.